Thursday, October 9, 2008

Battle of the Champions (Barangay Ginebra Kings vs Sta. Lucia Realtors)

For photos, click here --> PF vs RB and BGK vs SLR Pictures

Last night was the first game of the Barangay Ginebra Kings (BGK) for the 2008-2009 KFC Philippine Cup. Their first assignment, the reigning 2007-2008 All Filipino Cup Champions, the Sta. Lucia Realtors (SLR). Hence, it would be Battle of the Champions -- AFC Champs vs the FiestaCon Champs. And I was very lucky to be watching the game live at the Araneta Coliseum.

Game 1 is between Purefoods TJ Giants (PF) and RedBull Barakos (RB). It was a nice game. The PF rallied from 16pt deficit to win the game 73-77, with Kerby 'The Kid' Raymundo as the Best Player of the Game wit 23 pts and 15 rebounds.

And now, the Battle of the Champions began. Everytime I watch PBA, of course with BGK on court, I feel the nervousness. And I bet, I'm not the only one. To make it worse, Mark Caguioa, Raffy Reavis, Billy Mamaril, and Junty Valenzuela can't make it on their first game. But, in my head, BGK can win it. Remember? They've done it last conference.

The SLR had a great start, leaving BGK 10-0 behind. The Araneta Coliseum had been silent for that moment. But guess what? It was Chris Pacana who made the first basket for BGK, and it was from the 3pt arc. I remember seeing him practice shooting from the 3pt area during their warm up. And most of his shots are good. And now, BGK is ready for the battle.

It was kinda frustrating when SLR gained their lead back at the end of the 1st half (35-45). I even saw Dennis Espino being interviewed before he returned to their dug out. But, as what all BGK fans have in common, we have the never say die spirit.

Come 3rd quarter, JayJay Helterbrand showed SLR why he had been hailed as the Best Player of the last Conference. He nailed back-to-back 3 points followed by a fastbreak layup. It was even kinda funny since he thought of even passing the ball to Ronald Tubid, probably he would want Tubid to have a slam dunk as an answer to Kelly Williams'. If I remember it right, Williams made 3 dunks, but those dunks ain't gonna gain 4pts each, haha. For those who missed it, here's the video:



I can barely hear myself from the crowd chanting GI-NE-BRA, GI-NE-BRA, GI-NE-BRA. I really love watching PBA, I really love watching BGK, I really love watching Chris Pacana.

In the dying minutes of the pay off period, you won't be able to guess who will chip in the win. Just a 3pt shot from SLR could turn the table around. Less than 2 minutes of the 4th Quarter, the SLR stops the clock by their 'dirty' fouls. Fortunately, they've chosen to foul JayJay and Paul Artadi who never missed their charities that time. Less than 5 seconds left, 88-86 in favor of BGK. Sunday Salvacion was on the line. He missed his first free throw. Making me think, a 3pt shot might break BGK fans hearts. Good that he made the second one. Kelly was about to attempt a 3pt shot to tie the ball game, but the buzzer rang even before he release the ball. BGK won, 86-89, with Artadi as the Best Player of the Game, 18pts, 3 assists, and 2 steals.

Now, who is the real champion? Call it luck, I don't care. BGK won the battle, hence, BGK is the real champion. And I'm happy to witness it live.

Congrats BGK!!! Hope to see more of those exciting ball games.

0 comments: