Saturday, August 2, 2008

JayJay, The Next MVP?

The poll I have in this blog for "who could be the next Most Valuable Player (MVP)?" is now over. Just in time before the annual awarding of the PBA this season. Landslide victory to my personal bet, JayJay "The Fast version 2.0" Helterbrand.


#1 Kelly Williams
Kelly Williams of Sta. Lucia Realtors (SLR) might have the edge for they won the All Filipino Cup this season. They even reached up to the Quarter Finals of the current Fiesta Conference. He as well soars as the Slam Dunk champ this year, probably because KG Canaleta is not around.


#2 Arwind Santos
Arwind Santos of Air 21 Express is one of the consistent players in the league. They would be battling with Barangay Ginebra Kings (BGK) for the Fiesta Conference Championship. Their last game of the Semis shows another revelation of why he is second in the current MVP race.


#3 Willie Miller
Willie Miller of Alaska Aces is the last year's MVP. Some says that he won the title since the star players were out for the Team Pilipinas. But seeing how he played this season convinces me that he has that MVP quality.


#4 JayJay Helterbrand
JayJay "The Fast" Helterbrand of BGK has been hailed 3 times as Player of the Week in a month. He has been one of those players who stepped up during the loss of Mark Caguioa. His semis stats shows that he's unstoppable. He can score. He can make a play for the open man. His average turnover is 1. Making him very hard to guard. Not to mention that he has been the Best Player of the Game and the TM 3 King for their 3 consecutive games at Semis.


#5 Kerby Raymundo
Kerby Raymundo of Purefoods TJ Giants might have the statistics for him to belong to the top 5. He is my 2nd personal choice. But seeing the way Purefoods play this conference, I see it clearly that he has less opportunity to make it.

Media and player votes are still to be casted before the MVP for the season be hailed. Could JayJay be the media's bet? Or could it be Kelly? Hmmmm... I really hope that it could be JayJay. I may be biased, but, I personally think that JayJay deserved to be honored as the season's MVP among others. He had lifted BGK from 0-5 to now, Finals. I just get disappointed when he seemed to loss his usual game on Game 4 of the Best of 7 Series against Red Bull. I am really saddened of his statistics. Makes me wonder, could he still won the MVP? Thania knew how much worried I am on that off night of JayJay. I cannot really rejoice on BGK's finals berth knowing it might affect JayJay's statistics. Thanks to her, she makes me smile.

Finals (Game 1) will start on Wednesday, I hope JayJay could still show why he is called "Faster than Ever". If only the votes here reflects the media and player votes, then, JayJay could really be the next MVP. I am really hoping, and praying, that the MVP award be given to JayJay. If not, to Arwind.

0 comments: