Monday, August 11, 2008

The Best Players Are In Barangay Ginebra Kings

Finally, I've got the courage to write this article. I wanted to have this posted last Friday, but words are so hard to find, even last night.

Photo grabbed from www.pba-online.net

JayJay Helterbrand and Cris Alexander of the Barangay Ginebra Kings (BGK) are hailed as the Best Player and Best Import of the Conference (BPC and BIC) respectively. The moment I heard this news from my JAMSHIPS, I had this on my mind -- "Usually, when the BPC is awarded to someone, his team loses that game". And this thought holds true for BGK that night. JayJay's team does not merely lose the game, he even got injured. (huhuhu..) Thus, Air21 Express tied the series 1-1.

I was hoping that Game 3 would be on BGK's side. But, I was wrong. Knowing that JayJay could not play, I somehow prepared myself for the BGK's loss. And they did. Now, Air21 leads the series 2-1.

Basketball is a team game, it is not won by an individual. Last night, it was only 'The Furious'. There's no 'The Fast' nor 'The Fearless'. Eric Menk had stepped up and is regaining his MVP moves. Alexander tallied a triple-double (14 points, 17 rebounds and 11 shot blocks). But, we still lose the game. And I really felt sad. But, it won't hinder me writing this blog and boasting to everyone that 'The Best Players Are In Barangay Ginebra Kings'.

In fairness to Air21, I admire Arwind Santos, one of the most consistent players in the league, and KG Canaleta, and his humility. If not for them, I might hated the team. Paul Artadi and Alexander may be playing physical this series. But a clean physical game. Not physical to the point of throwing away your opponent intentionally (Wynne Arboleda), intentionally pushing your opponent using your elbow (Gary David), and using a karate move not on the ball but on the arms of your opponent (Homer Se). I'm not blind not to see how good David was. He really is the 'Mr. Pure Energy' of Air21. But his attitude makes me dislike him. More when he shows an insulting salute to our 'Gentle Giant'. He better give thanks for Alexander is a sports one. If it happened to be someone like Terrence Leather, he might have broken bones last night.

The series aint over. It takes 4 wins to grab the championship. If Air21 wins, congratulations to them. They did a great job. And they made history by winning their first ever title. But if BGK wins, a lot would surely rejoice, and count me in. Who really deserved this championship? Is it Air21, who, from the start of the eliminations landed the top spot. Or is it BGK who travel its way from the bottom? But, no matter what happens, I would still cheer for the best players, the BGK. I'm not speaking on my own, I'm not being biased, I have the statistical proof:

  • Top Scorer of the Series: Mark Caguioa
  • Top Rebounder of the Series: Cris Alexander
  • Top Assist of the Series: JayJay Helterbrand
  • Top Steals of the Series: Chris Pacana
  • Top Blocks of the Series: Cris Alexander

GO BGK!!! The Philippines is counting on you!!!

0 comments: