Thursday, July 10, 2008

Leather Ejected, James Yap Runs Away Like A Kid

Last night, it was a do or die game for SLR vs Alaska (Game 1) and TNT vs Purefoods (Game 2). I failed to watch the first game for it started 4:40PM, I was still at the office by that time. Game 1's winner was SLR, a come from behind, having Joseph Yeo as the Best Player of the Game.

Luckily, I was able to watch Game 2 from the very first minutes of the first quarter. Kerby Raymundo was playing good that time. Unlike from what I've read from comments at pba-online, 'The Kid' was now showing his real play, my thought at that moment. If I'm not mistaken, he scored 6 out of the 8 points of the team. It was 14-2 in favor of Purefoods when suddenly, after the time-out called by coach Chot Reyes, the TNT have a 16-1 run. All of a sudden, it was 18-15 in favor of the Phone Pals.

(Sigh!) I really wanted Purefoods to win. I wanted them to be the team that could surpass the Wildcard Phase and eventually meet Ginebra in the Quarters. But, on the way that they are playing, I doubt they could win the game. There's just something wrong. They hadn't figured it out all conference-long.

Come second and third quarter, offense and defense of TNT was just so perfect. Bringing them 21 point lead at the end of the 3rd. 12 minutes left, I've got 12 minutes hope that James Yap, who was featured on half time, could show his million moves to come back from that big big deficit. 12 minutes for him to prove that he really is the 'Big Game' James.

Entering the 4th quarter, a 3 point play was engineered by the injured Reda Rhalimi. Feels like the momentum is now at Purefoods. I was still hopeful. At the 9-minute mark, the game was "A MESS". Jondan Salvador is having a physical move against the more physical defense of Terrence Leather who was called for a foul at the third strong bump with each other. And then, the Terrence Leather I saw during their match vs Ginebra, was the same Terrence Leather I am seeing now. It's as if he would throw a fist on Jondan, the latter step back and the referee stops the commosion. But, Leather is unstoppable, he even throwed the ball with a bang on Jondan's face. Ouch!!! The attitude of Leather made him ejected of the game, having called for a 2 technical foul. The same reason why he was out of the playing court vs Ginebra.

On the lighter side, for a laugh, here comes James Yap. While Ali Peek tries to stop Leather, King James sneeked a knee on Leather's leg. Making Leather run after him. And like a kid, literally, a kid, he ran away from Leather. The number of times the brawl was replayed, that's the number of times me and my brother laughed. Then, the next thing you saw, everyone's on the court. Oh well, for you to picture out what I've been trying to draw here, I've attached the video of the Royal Rumble, I mean, the PBA game. :)



As a result, 2 Technical Fouls was called against Leather, and 1 each for Peek, Salvador, J. Yap, Villanueva, and Sanz. Aside from the personal foul that lit up the rumble. Raining Technical Fouls. Earlier in the first half, Coach Ryan Gregorio was called for a technical foul as well.

I just thought that with Leather ejected, the TJ Giants would gain the momentum, and finish the quarter with a win. But I was so, so, so disappointed. The giants are not playing as a team, they are playing individually. A couple of offensive fouls were even called against them, PJ Simon having 2, if I remembered it right.

Less than 2 minutes left, I was hoping that a T-Mac hands would come in the hands of J. Yap. That with a double digit deficit, a back-to-back 3s could still bring them for the win. But, it's impossible. (sad)

Final score was 98-83, with Cardona as the Best Player of the Game.

0 comments: