Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It Could Have Been For The Kings

I kinda miss PBA. I got frustrated last time when the Purefoods TJ Giants (PF) were eliminated in their wildcard game against the Air21 Express. I got a little more disappointed that time since Kerby 'The Kid' Raymundo was only able to gain most of his scores only from the free throw line. Anyway, it was the first game of the Quarter Finals Series between the Barangay Ginebra Kings (BGK), my favorite team, and the San Miguel Beermen (SMB).

I was not able to watch the game. Good that I have friends who willingly update me on the happenings as the game goes by. I was kinda sad that time when SMB lead ballooned to 10 big points at the end of the first half (42-32). To my mind, SMB is really an all-star cast. And there's BonBon Custodio (my bet for the Rookie of the Year, ha ha) who really plays so well. But, I still wanted to see BGK winning the game.

I was delighted when BGK come back because of their 3-pt shots. And it was more fascinating since one of the shots from the parking lot came from my favorite player, Chris Pacana. I really hoped that he would be given more playing time by Coach Jong Uichico.

It was a tight ball game in the ending minutes. While still on my way home, I hoped that I could still catch the game and see Pacana throwing the winning shot. Yes, I was able to catch the game. It was about 47 (Mark Caguioa? Where are you?) seconds left, 78-77 in favor of SMB, BGK's ball. Well, as expected, Pacana is no where to found in the court. Pacana is used by Coach Uichico more on the defensive stop rather on offense. Anyway, what matter here now is to have a basket. But it was heartbreaking when Ronald Tubid failed to chip in his 3 point basket. Nonetheless, he was hailed as the game's 3-point King. Now, it was SMB's ball. They just melted the clock, and was not able to gain a basket. Only 4 seconds left, BGK had another chance of making a win from this one. But, JayJay Helterbrand's 3-point attempt do not even touch the rim. Well, it was a hard shot. He was not given any screen that time. He simply fished for a fould then against Custodio, but the referees where too lazy to call one. (It makes me miss PF, and all their buzzer beaters.)

Sorry loss for BGK. The game could have been for the them. But, it was not. Well, the series is a Best of 3, they will surely come back next game. It would be a do or die for them. And I'm sure, they'll do it.

The scores:

San Miguel 78 - Tugade 15, Hontiveros 14, Racela 11, Custodio 10, Seigle 10, Pingris 6, Pena 6, Washington 4, Pennisi 2, Calaguio 0.

Ginebra 77 - Mamaril 22, Tubid 14, Valenzuela 9, Helterbrand 8, Artadi 7, Salvacion 6, Menk 4, Pacana 3, Wilson 2, Crisano 2, Escalona 0, Cabatu 0.

Quarterscores: 21-16, 42-32, 61-54, 78-77.

0 comments: